|FORAGING - GL@2 RIVERS |
|We Stand Together - Jamestown Ferry|
HISTORY: The Jamestown Ferry service was privately established in 1925. The Commonwealth of Virginia acquired it and the Department of Transportation (VDOT) assumed operations in 1945. It runs it as a state service. Nearly a million vehicles make the fifteen minute voyage across the James each year.
The ferryboat Captain John Smith made the first automobile-ferry crossing of the James River on February 26, 1925. The privately owned business was founded by Captain Albert F. Jester. After the Captain John Smith was retired in the early 1950s, the deckhouse was put into adaptive use. For another 50 years, it was used as a private waterside cottage, perched on pilings in the Elizabeth River near Portsmouth. In 2003, the deckhouse was removed and donated to a preservation group in Surry County
The first person to use it in the form we know today ("beauty is in the eye of the beholder") was an author called Margaret Wolfe Hungerford. She included the phase in her book 'Molly Bawn' (1878). It is another way of saying that beauty is subjective. It's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Wild Mushrooms of Jamestown,Virginia
Old Man of the Woods
|Late July Mushroom|
|Crimson Waxy Caps|